Monday, April 15, 2013

Spa Party Extraordinaire







I'm a do-it-yourselfer. Which is a good thing, because my daughters like to have big birthday parties. At home. No bowling, skating, gymnastics party for us. I resist. I attempt bribes. I try (unsuccessfully) to convince them to do something else. I procrastinate. What, your birthday was last month, you don't need a party. And then eventually I accept defeat. That's when I jump in head first and really get into party mode. It's a lot of work. I swear I'll never do it again next year. And then I do.


Spritz hanging paper bubbles from Target
comes 3 in a package




For her seventh birthday party, Amelia wanted a spa party. For fifteen of her closest friends. No problem. Here's what I did...

White waffle spa robes for all the girls to wear at the party and take home. Got them at bycase.com.  $7.99 each and they got here fast.




I hired some wonderful middle schoolers to be my spa ladies. Plus Ella and Sophia, my two older daughters, got in on the action. First we had all the girls lie down and we gave them homemade facial masks while listening to a relaxing meditation. There was a lot of giggling, not too much meditating. I forgot to take the cucumber slices out of the fridge. But, it wouldn't be a party if I didn't forget something. Here's where I found a great recipe for a safe, kid friendly homemade (and edible) facial.


Then we made a body scrub. I planned on buying a case of those Ball jars, but I didn't order them in time, so I made an emergency run to the Container Store and bought these really cute jars. Here's the recipe for our body scrub:


3 cups brown sugar (better for sensitive skin than regular sugar)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 T honey
15-20 drops lavender essential oil
1/2 t vitamin E oil (as a preservative)

The girls made it (with a little supervision) and scooped it into their jars (after decorating them with stickers and sharpies).

Then... on to the pampering. Manis, pedis and foot massages for everyone!


Melamine bowls from Target. The leaf place mats were a gift (thanks, Janice!)

Here's a before picture of the mani/pedi room

It was a busy day at the spa


These acrylic cups will be great come summer
From Crate & Barrel.  Love the color!


What a pretty spring table


I may keep these up for awhile, they match my pendant from DWR

Some dried fruit to nibble on during their pedicures


Fresh lemonade, made by Ella.  Pitcher from Target.

When the moms arrived for pick-up, they inhaled the beautiful aromas of lavender, honey and vanilla. One mom said I was giving the girls a glimpse of their future. Absolutely. Although after today I'm thinking their future may already be here.


Jello wedges in an orange cup. So easy.  Make them here

The feedback was music to my ears. One mom called later for the facial and body scrub recipes. Her girls were creating their own at-home spa. Another told me her daughter used the body scrub in the bath and then wanted a foot massage. Amelia told me it was the best party ever. Maybe this party was worth it.



All this spa conversation puts me in the mood... just in time for spa week. I think I may have to get myself a facial. And a massage...





1 comment: